This should be one of my very last recipe of Huat Kuih as I have at least more than 10 of them..
The original recipe is called pumpkin steamed muffins and is from a very experienced blogger – Aunty Yochana.
I did grumble with my Facebook Group that in English speaking group, huat kuih recipe is always not a welcoming recipe as it is viewed as superstition .. However, if the recipe is called a steamed muffins, more English Educated readers will try the recipe.. Is it not a funny phenomenon?
Well, putting aside these grumbling, this is a nice huat kuih and I loved the yellow vibrant colour of the steamed cake. It can be as tasty as you want it to be and I do not have much thing to write about this recipe.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe adapted from: Yochana’s Cake Delight! : Steamed Pumpkin Muffin
Servings: About 6 huat kuih
- 100 grams of steamed pumpkin and mashed
- 200 grams of self raising flour
- 130 grams of white sugar
- 150 grams of hot water or coconut milk or milk
- 30 grams of cooking oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
STEPS OF PRARATION
- Get ready a steamer with water capable of steaming the Kuih for at least 20 minutes.
- Steam the pumpkin and mash into puree form. In another bowl, put hot water and add castor sugar, stir until sugar dissolved. Mix the syrup with the pumpkin puree and stir until well combined. If preferred, you can put into the blender and blend until fine.
- Sift the baking powder and self raising flour into a bowl. Make a well and add the pumpkin solution in 3 stages, stir until well mixed. Transfer it to some cupcake cups and fill the cups with the batter until at least 95% full.
- Prior to steaming, lightly grease a scissor or a knife and cut a criss-cross on top of the batter. Steam in the steamer for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre come out clean. It is best that the cupcakes cups be pre-steamed before filling of the batter. You shall use high heat in the entire process of steaming. Best served hot as a snack.
Not a difficult recipe but taste is delicious. Do give it a try and see if it suits your taste bud.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 13 March 2015) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂 to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.