I vouched that this is my favourite pie. A pie that I can never get tired off. A pie that I have the urge to buy whenever I saw stores selling the pie. I love the pie for its sweetness and its nutty flavour…. Though it is my favourite, I seldom purchased it as it can be a rather costly pie..
My friends generously gave me about 600 grams of pecan nuts hand carried from United States. Since she had given me these much, i have to return her a favour by preparing some pecan pie.
I search for a recipe and I found which is rather simple and fast. Instead of using corn syrup, the recipe uses brown sugar.
To be fair to readers who are not willing to invest in the purchased of pecan nuts, you can always substitute with walnut and the taste is equally awesome.
As per Wikipedia,
“Pecan pie is a pie made primarily with corn syrup and pecan nuts. Variations may include white or brown sugar, sugar syrup,molasses, maple syrup, or honey. It is popularly served at holiday meals and is also considered a specialty of Southern U.S. cuisine. Most pecan pie recipes include salt and vanilla as flavourings. Chocolate and bourbon whiskey are other popular additions to the recipe. Pecan pie is often served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.” (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan_pie)
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe adapted from: Pecan Pie V
Servings : One 9” diameter round pie
Short Crust Pastry
- 35 grams egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 150 grams plain flour (sifted)
- 30 grams of icing sugar (sifted)
- 75 grams of chilled butter cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 100 grams of butter, melted
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup = 1.25 cups of brown sugar
- 2 eggs (disregard 4 eggs in the picture)
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 tablespoon of bourbon or whisky (optional)
- Additional pecans (or walnuts) for decoration if desired.
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Preparing the short crust pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
In a big mixing bowl, put butter cubes and sifted plain flour together. Use the finger tips to rub the butter cubes and flours together until it become crumby. Add in sifted icing sugars and continue to rub until well mix. Add in eggs and vanilla essence, mix slowly until it become a dough. Put it in the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes. Note that if you are able to handle soft dough, you can by pass this step. In fact I have bypassed the step due to time constraints.
Have a clinging wrap on the table, take the dough from the fridge and place on top of it. Put another clinging wrap on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll it into a flat sheet with about 0.5 cm thickness. Transfer the dough to the pie tin and use you hand to press the dough against the sides and make it as even as possible. Use a fork to make some holes in the dough (optional). Please refer here if you want more detail pictorial illustrations.
Preparing the fillings
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until foamy. Add the melted butter, whisk until well combined. Add brown sugar and the plain flour. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the fresh milk (and bourbon or whisky if you are using) followed by the chopped pecans or walnuts. Stir until well mixed. Transfer the pie fillings to the pie crust prepared earlier and baked in the pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the fillings have set. Set means that when the pie is shake, there is no signs of liquids in the pie crust. Note that in the process of baking, the pie will expand upwards . Don’t worry, when cooled, the pie will start to level itself.
- Once cooked, transfer out and let it cooled slightly. If further garnish is preferred, brush the top with some fruit jam and arrange the pecan pie on top of the pie. Best served warm or chilled with whipped cream or vanilla ice creams if desired.
The pie is very addictive and is really a rich and sinful indulgence. Having said that, I am not willing to give up this delicious pie. I will continue to prepare this for important house guests. May be you want to give it a try too!
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
- For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 21 March 2014) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP to see more recipes. Currently there are about 9,800 members sharing various food photos . I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
5 thoughts on “An Expensive And Sinful Indulgence–Pecan Pie (胡桃派）”
Pingback: RECIPE INDEX ( Updated on 8 June 2014) | GUAI SHU SHU
Pingback: Host Favorite Recipes Foodie Friends Friday #103 - Daily Dish Magazine
Pingback: RECIPE INDEX ( Updated on 16 AUGUST 2014) | GUAI SHU SHU
Pingback: RECIPE INDEX ( Updated on 13 March 2015) | GUAI SHU SHU
Pingback: Thanksgiving and Christmas 2015 Special Compilation (2015 圣诞节特别汇编） | GUAI SHU SHU