Muah Chee is basically a type of cooked sticky rice dough coated with sugar, grounded peanuts and sesame seeds. It is believed to be originated from Southern China and can be easily found in Singapore and Malaysia stores selling snacks. Traditionally, the sticky rice are steamed for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of the dough) and become a white coloured sticky dough. This dough is then cut into bite size pieces and generously coated with a mixture of sugar, peanuts and sesame seeds served using a toothpick.
As it is a vegetarian food, it is therefore commonly serve during Chinese religious activities in the temple.
This is a simple recipe of my own and all this while, I know that microwave can be used in the preparation of this traditional snack. This short cut method have saved lots of time of preparation rather than steaming the glutinous rice cake or muah chee （花生芝麻糍粑）。 I have been using microwave in the preparation of some peanut mochi and have shared my recipe in my Facebook Page here.
Since I am going to dispose half a package of the glutinous rice flour sitting ideally in my kitchen shelf, I have decided to prepare some muah chee as the snack for the family members.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 3-4 adults
- 1 cup of glutinous rice flour （糯米粉）
- 1 cup of water （清水）
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour (optional) （木薯粉）
- 1 packet of grounded peanut sugar mix (花生糖粉）
- 3 tablespoons of roasted white sesame seeds (白芝麻）
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Mix the water, tapioca flour and glutinous rice flour in a microwavable bowl. Stir until well mix. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes. It will form a stick dough.
- In a bowl, put the grounded peanut and sesame seeds together. Stir until well mix. Place the glutinous rice dough on top of the grounded peanut. Use a scissors to cut the dough into your desired size. Dust or coat sparingly the cut muah chee with the ground peanuts and sesame seeds. Usually served as a tea time snack.
Nothing to shout about, nothing much to write about and I hope you can give this simple snack a try.
Hope you like the post today, cheers and have a nice day.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 1800 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD. You can also join the Food Bloggers and Foodies United Group Facebook Group to see more recipes.